Reasons why people take drugs in sport
- One of the major reasons for athletes' to use drugs is dissatisfaction with their progress and performance
- Belief that other athletes' are taking them thus creating an uneven playing field
- The financial reward for improved performance in the form of appearance fees, sponsorship, wages etc
- Pressure from coaches, family, friends and media to succeed
- Lack of knowledge of the side effects that are associated with taking performance enhancing drugs
- Values - some people think that the use of performance enhancing drugs is acceptable including notable sport sociologists.