Types of abuse that can occur
- Emotional abuse - the ill treatment of a child that results in severe and persistent adverse effects upon their emotional development
- Physical abuse - when someone causes physical harm or injury to a child
- Sexual abuse - when adults or other young people use children to meet their own sexual needs
- Neglect - when an adult fails to meet a child's basic physical or psychological needs
- Bullying and harassment - deliberately hurtful behaviour, usually over a period of time.